After Tangerine Tango and Emerald, the Pantone 2014 Color Of The Year is Radiant Orchid, a purple with fuchsia, purple and pink undertones that “inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health”.
According to the renowned color authority, Radiant Orchid’s rosy undertones enliven the skin, producing a healthy glow that is flatting to many hair, eye and skin tones. It also makes all who wear it feel more healthy and energetic.
Tips On Rocking Radiant Orchid
• When using purple on the eyes, the sky is the limit! Pantone suggests pairing it with sister shades of lavender, purple and pink. You can also try neutrals like gold, bronze and taupe for a fool-proof look; blue, teal, green or even contrasting shades like yellow for a pop of color; or simply smoke it up with navy, deep charcoal or black. Need examples? Check out my Jason Wu inspired look or these great purple eye looks.
• Wearing purple on the eyes can make them appear swollen. Go heavier on the liner or mascara if necessary and stay away from shadows with too much red undertones.
• As a blush, purple is great for perking up the complexion, especially those with sallow and olive undertones. Lighter skintones should stick to pale lavenders while medium to dark skintones can pull off violets and more vibrant colors.
• Who says you can’t wear purple on the lips? Light lilac colors (like below) give a gorgeous, girly look while bright orchids can instantly make a statement. See these purple lip looks for more examples.
1. NARS Cinematic Eyeshadow in Rage
2. OCC Lip Tar in Hoochie
3. Benefit Lollitint
4. MAC Casual Colour Lip & Cheek Colour in Evening Stroll (relaunching Spring 2014)
5. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Orchid
6. butter LONDON Molly Coddled Nail Lacquer
Are you a fan of purple? How do you wear the color?