Eyelid tape is definitely one of the most popular Asian beauty gadgets and have long been a holy grail for many girls. They are basically clear medical tapes used to create a “double eyelid” and to make your eyes appear rounder and larger.
Just check out the before and after pictures of Hong Kong singer Elanne Kwong below. Her “big eyes” are achieved through the use of eyelid tape and circle lens.
Who Can Use Eyelid Tape
* Those with a small crease
* Those with a crease
* Those with droopy eyelids
* Those with uneven creases
* Unlike you are using a double-sided tape (see below for more info), those completely without a crease are better off using eyelid glue. If you use one-sided tape, it is bound to show.
Currently, there are two kinds of eyelid tape on the market:
* Ones that come in a roll like the 3m Nexcare Blenderm Eye Beauty Tape below
* Ones that are pre-cut to match your upper eyelid. You still have to trim them a little to fit your eye.
* Double-sided fiber sticks and tape
How To Use Eyelid Tape
1. Make sure your eye area is clean and makeup-free. If you want to wear eye makeup, do so after you put on the tape.
2. Based on the curve and length of your shape, cut out a thin strip. Make sure the tape is slightly shorter than the length of your eye so it does not stick out on both ends.
3. Look into the mirror and figure out where your natural crease is.
4. Close your eyes and apply the tape.
5. Open your eyes and blink a few times. If you do not see the tape, good job you did it!
Now here comes the question everyone is dying to ask – can I still wear eye makeup with eyelid tape on? Of course you can! In fact, I highly suggest that you do to help cover up the tape. Below are a few tips that would help:
1) Eyeliner along your upper lashline is a must. It will help hide the tape and make your eyes look bigger.
2) If you are worried about the tape showing or have trouble hiding it, try to focus more on your lashes by wearing falsies.
3) When choosing the tape, pick one that is non-reflective, transparent and smooth. That way, your eye makeup will go on a lot easier too.
Possible Cons of Using the Eyelid Tape:
* Saggy skin. Constant peeling of the tape from your eyelid and improper usage can result in sagginess.
* Irritation and skin allergies. If you have sensitive skin, the tape may cause irritation.
* Time-consuming. Taiwanese singer Elva Hsiao is reported to spend two hours every day just on doing her eye makeup (poor girl!)
* Slight discomfort. Some people may experience slight discomfort when wearing the tape but it is something that you can get used to.
3m Nexcare Blenderm Eye Beauty Tape
This is one of the more popular eyelid tapes in Hong Kong. It comes in a roll so you would have to trim it yourself. It is also transparent, non-reflective, waterproof, breathable, easy-to-remove and hypoallergenic. Plus it does not leave behind any adhesive residue and is widely available in Asia. Check it out if you get a chance!
D-Up Wonder Eyelid Tape
This is my personal favorite. It is transparent, non-reflective, waterproof, breathable, easy-to-remove and hypoallergenic as well. The best part is it is double-sided and handsdown the most natural eyelid tape you will ever find on the market. See a detailed review and before-and-after pics of me using the tape here.
Interested in trying the D-Up Wonder Eyelid Tape? Get it now at the Makeup For Life Beauty Store!
Learn how to make eyes without a crease look bigger and see more celebrities wearing eyelid tape!
Image: Apple Daily and Oriental Daily.