I have been getting a *lot* of requests for prom makeup tips lately so hopefully this will clear up some of your questions =)
What Products To Wear
This is all up to you. You can wear as many as ten twenty products or as little as five. But no matter what you do, here are some products that I recommend you use:
* Foundation. Even if you do not wear it on a daily basis, you will thank yourself for wearing a little foundation on special occasions. Remember to use one that matches your skin completely. If in doubt, go with a color that is darker instead of lighter because a) a lighter face on a darker neck is just hideous b) if your foundation has light reflecting particles, the flash may make your skin appear lighter than it really is.
* Powder. This should be applied only on oily areas (forehead, chin and nose) with a light hand and for touchups. Powder do not photograph well and it can make you look ten years older.
* Evian Mist/MAC Fix+ Spray. Spritzing this will definitely help keep your makeup looking fresh and dewy.
* Blush. Do remember to put on some blush because the flash in cameras will wash you out.
* Eyelash Curler. Curling your lashes is a must. I repeat, a MUST!
* Lip Balm. Chapped lips are a big no-no so definitely make sure your lips are soft and smooth before you apply anything on top.
What Colors To Wear
Basically, anything goes as long as it is done tastefully. Your makeup does not have to match your dress, it should just match the look you are going for. For instance, if you are going for a sexy look, try rich violets, blues, dark greens, bronzes or charcoals on the eyes paired with a natural cheek color and nude lips. For a sweet look, go with shimmery pastel colors on the eyes, pink flushed cheeks and rosy lips. You can also go retro glamorous with black liquid liner, falsies and red lips. It would definitely help to look at pictures of celebrities with a smilar skin tone as a reference.
Asian Skin tone
Maggie Q and Zhang Ziyi
Caucasian Skin tone
Nicole Richie and Mandy Moore
Hispanic Skin tone
African Skin tone
Beyonce and Rihanna
For more beauty tips, check out this entry I wrote for Homecoming – the same tips apply.
As for tips on dresses and hair, check out this interview with Project Runway’s Nick Verreos from Promadvice.com.
Image credit: Celebutopia.net.