Spotted! Singer Rihanna out and about in NYC wearing bright orange lips, one of the hottest trends this season Let’s see how you can rock the color too!
* Orange lipstick looks best on golden and olive complexions so if you are on the cool/pale side, warm up your complexion with a bit of bronzer.
* For a fool-proof look, stay away from formulas that are too matte. Opt for one with a satin finish or one with just a bit of shine like MAC Morange Lipstick. This “loudmouth orange” in the Amplified Creme formula will suit all skin tones and I love how it makes my teeth appear whiter.
* To make the orange more wearable, mix it with with a red lipstick. Makeup artist Tom Pecheux has said in Allure magazine that “Orange with a drop of red is surprisingly wearable. With a shade this strong, you don’t need much more on the face.”
* Paint the color on carefully with a lip brush. Use a lip pencil to fill in the shape and blend for a no-lined look. Blot once with a tissue and reapply the lipstick until you have achieved the intensity you want. If the color is too bright, tone it down by blotting.
* For a glossy effect, top with an orange gloss like Prescriptives Exhilarating Lip Gloss in Mango. You can also wear the gloss on its own for just a pop of orange on the lips.
* With such vivid lips, keep the rest of your face understated with bare skin and several coats of mascara. If you must wear eyeshadow, stick with neutral beiges, tawny browns and pale golds.
Like the idea of bright lips but orange is not your color? Try fuchsia, another hot color for this season, instead. For tips on how to wear fuchsia, refer to this.