After the natural glossy eye tutorial last week, let’s look at a slightly more advanced version of the same look – a dramatic glossy eye.
Since the look involves the use of darker colors, it will require a bit more practice to master it. Compared to the natural glossy eye, this also has a higher tendency to smudge. I highly suggest you save it for photoshoots or the runway.
What You Will Need
* Vaseline/Clear Gloss
* Black Eyeshadow
* Medium Brown Eyeshadow
* Highlighting Eyeshadow
* Black Waterproof Eyeliner
* Waterproof Mascara
1. Start out with a clean eye area. Make sure you remove all traces of makeup and tidy up your eyebrows a bit.
2. Apply a very thin layer of foundation or primer to prep the eye area.
3. Color in your entire eyelid with a waterproof black eyeliner (try Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Eye Definer in Noir) and line your lower lash line.
4. Pat a layer of black shadow like Jane Clubbing eyeshadow onto the eyelid and under the eye. Blend a medium brown eyeshadow (I used the color on the right in NARS Cordura Duo Eyeshadow) onto the crease. Highlight the brow bone with a shimmery color like B Pressed Eyeshadow in Bethlehem.
5. Reline your upper and lower lash lines with the pencil eyeliner. Curl your lashes and apply a few coats of waterproof mascara on top and bottom. Apply false lashes on the top if you want a more dramatic effect.
6. Press a thin layer of Vaseline onto the center of the eyelid. Remember not to blend the color or you will end up smudging everything (the gloss will work its way around anyways).
7. Clean up the undereye area with a foundation brush dipped in foundation/concealer.
Wouldn’t Vaseline cause the eye makeup to smear over time? I use vaseline as an eye make-up remover.
Yes Huiro which is why I said the glossy eye look is NOT meant to last and is best left for photoshoots and fashion shows.
What kind of camera do you have?
wow this is absolutely STUNNING!!! i’ve always wanted to try this look, i’ve seen it in some of kevin aucoin’s work.
Hey, I sent my address to you on makeupalley…
I realize my $20 off $100 purchase is not applicable for NARS stuff… so screw that…
I think I’m getting Underworld with the $15 at Sephora 😀 Or should I get Violetta, I really like the shimmery side…
very true, as I have oily skin, its better for photoshoots. The Dramatic effect is good!
I wanted to do this look years before!
what contacts are you wearing here? they look awesome