Lately, I have once again become obsessed with depotting and below is a freshly depotted pan of MAC eyeshadows.
Since the 15-pan pro palettes are not transparent, I added a bit of bling bling to decorate the cover and to help me differentiate the different palettes.
For those of you who are new to the idea of depotting, it is the process of getting the eyeshadow out of its pot so you can place the metal pan on a magnetic board/palette to create your very own customized palette.
Depotting has been a common practice among makeup artists for years and is fairly simple and fun to do. So why depot?
* Pan eyeshadows are easier to travel with. With MAC’s 4-pan and 15-pan pro palettes, you can fit so many more eyeshadows into your bag.
* By depotting, you get to create your very own color combinations as supposed to a fixed set of colors that you get in a pre-customized palette.
* The depotted pot is eligible for MAC’s Back2MAC recycling program. All you have to do is take 6 empty pots and plastic inserts back to a MAC freestanding store and you will receive a free lipstick, lipglass or eyeshadow of your choice. Please note MAC counters will only allow you to trade in 6 Back2MAC empties for a free lipstick.
* Pan eyeshadows are also cheaper in the long run. A regular pot eyeshadow retails $14.50 and a pan retails $11. If you do the math, you only pay $177.50 for 15 pan shadows in a pro palette vs $217.50 for 15 pot eyeshadows.
However, I highly recommend depotting only the limited edition colors for the Back2MAC program. Why? Because the limited edition colors only come in pot form and you can buy all permanent colors in pan form to save yourself some extra money and the trouble of depotting.
Tips On Depotting
* Be careful not to leave the eyeshadow in the heat for too long or you might risk changing its texture.
* Besides MAC, here are other brands of eyeshadows that would fit in the 4-pan and 15-pan pro palettes:
Jane Eyezing Eyeshadow
Red Earth Eyeshadow
Urban Decay Eyeshadow
Trade Secret Eyeshadow
Studio Makeup/ Studio, Gear
MMU Shadow Petites
La Femme “Ultra Pearl” Eyeshadow
Elizabeth Arden Eye Shadow Refill
Face Stockholm Pearl Eyeshadow
Bonne Bell Powder Pack Eye Shadow Pan
Revlon Streetwear Cream Eyeshadow
Paula’s Select Soft Matte Eyeshadow
Clinique Touch Base Cream Eyeshadow
Bath & Body Works Eyeshadow
Prescriptives Pick Two Eyeshadow
* To learn how to depot eyeshadows, Makeup Geek has a great tutorial on her page. I also used the same way to depot my eyeshadows.