Here are some of the trends spotted on the Fall 2008 runway shows. Any thoughts?
* Strong Brows
Ladies, brows are back this fall! Models at the Prada and Fendi shows strutted their stuff in tied-back hair with thick, perfectly arched brows and nude pink lips. To copy the look, simply lay off the tweezing and start growing your brows. If you are one of those who do not have a lot to work with, fill in your eyebrows with a pencil then run a matching eyebrow powder over it and seal the look with a clear eyebrow gel.
Spring is almost here so here are two of my favorite spring looks for this year.
Look #1: Glitter Galore
As seen on the Christian Dior and Anna Sui Spring 2008 fashion shows, glitter is making its way back to the runway.
The key to wearing glitter on your face is to focus on one feature. If you want to play up your eyes, either dab a bit of glitter on the inner corners, line your bottom lashes with a glitter liner or you can go all out like the picture on the left. Just remember to keep the rest of your face understated with just gloss or lipstick. Alternatively, mix your favorite gloss with glitter or pat glitter over your lipstick. Unless you are trying to look drag or do a photoshoot, do not try to do glitter on both your eyes and lips – it will be an overkill.
If you are having trouble making the glitter stick to your skin, I highly recommend MAC’s Water-based Mixing Medium. It is available only at the Pro stores but trust me this stuff works like a charm. All you have to do is wet your brush with it then dip it into the glitter and gently pat onto your eye/lip area.
This summer we are seeing blue eyeshadow paired with pink lips everywhere.
#1 Tropical Look
||Taken from The Body Shop 2007 Summer Tropics collection, this look screams hot and is great for those with a tan or darker skin – light skinned girls should steer clear of this to avoid looking drag-queeny.
* Rim your entire upper and lower lash line with a navy kohl pencil. Next, smudge a shimmery teal eyeshadow all over your upper and lower eyelid. Apply several coats of mascara.
* Add an extra pop of color by sweeping a bright pink color on your apples.
* With color this bright, you definitely need to start out with moisturized lips. Next, whip out your lip liner for a little definition and apply a shimmery hot pink or magenta lip gloss onto your lips.
#2 Icy Look
||For a more understated look, try Shiseido Maquillage’s 2007 Summer collection which is better suited to those with pale skin.
* Sweep a baby blue or sky blue eyeshadow all over your upper and lower eyelid. Line your lower inner rim with a white pencil. Finish the look by curling your lashes and applying several coats of mascara.
* Define your cheekbones with just a hint of peachy blush.
* Slick on a medium pink lip gloss.
Unlike the gold eyeshadow we see last year, the color this year is more metallic with a bit of cool undertones. Below are two different ways to wear it as requested by Shellie.
Look #1: Gold + Silver = Cool Look
As spotted on the Chanel Spring 2007 runway, gold + silver eyes are oh-so-hot right now! To recreate the look, apply the silver color of Chanel Lumiere Dartifices ($75) on your entire upper eyelid and the gold color from the same palette on your lower eye. Alternatively, you try MAC Perverted Pearl eyeshadow and Jane Goldilocks.
As for the rest of your face, keep it as bare as possible. Use a tinted moisturizer and concealer to cover up all flaws and even out skin tone. Brush an eyebrow gel on your eyebrows. Draw a thin line along your upper lash line and apply several coats of black mascara. Finish the look with a slick of peachy pink lip color.
The London Fashion Week kicked off earlier this week and here is my little report on next spring/summer’s beauty trends.
* The nude look is still a bit hit, only this time it is paired with a pop of color on the lips.
* Strong eyebrows
* Eyes strongly defined with lots of eyeliner
at the outer corner.
Temperley London and Biba
Images: Getty Images and Elle.