Anne Hathaway wowed the crowd with a soft purple smoky eye and yes, edgy platinum blonde hair at the 2013 Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Annual Costume Institute Gala . Here’s how to recreate her look!
Makeup artist Adam Breuchaud applied Laura Mercier Foundation Primer to give Hathaway’s skin an “even, lasting finish”. Then, he used a damp sponge to apply Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 in Porcelain to even out her skin tone and give the skin an “amazingly sheer veil of color”. Lastly, he lightly dusted on Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder to set the Tinted Moisturizer and ensure the skin kept its “dewy finish” throughout the night.
Inspired by the electric blue eye shadow worn by punk icon Debbie Harry, Breuchaud mixed Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Orchid with Laura Mercier Matte Eye Color in Deep Night. To deepen the look, he applied Laura Mercier Crème Eye Liner in Noir to her lashline and blended the eyeliner throughout the corner of her eye using Laura Mercier Corner Eye Color Brush. Breuchaud added the final touch of glamor by applying multiple coats of Laura Mercier Faux Lash Mascara in Black to the top and bottom lashes.
To complement the dramatic eye, Breuchaud went for a fresh, natural lip. He applied Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Color in Pink Blush which he described as a “beautiful soft pink” to Hathaway’s lips.
“Drawing inspiration from unforgettable punk icons like Poly Styrene from X-ray Spex and Joan Jett, I decided to go for a look that’s glam, edgy and yet very youthful and fun. We kept the style much shorter for Anne and had a lot of fun playing around with it. To enhance her punk look further we decided to take her hair to the next level: A new cool Platinum blonde color and the sharp slightly boyish finish with loads of texture were the perfect match,” says Celebrity Stylist Sascha Breuer.
1. Start by applying a golf ball sized amount of Wella Professionals Extra Volume Mousse to damp hair for the perfect foundation and to provide hold and volume.
2. Blow dry the hair into shape using your fingers or a skeleton brush. Dry the longer hair on top back and upwards by gently pulling the hair away from the scalp to boost the volume and some lift to it.
3. Push brush and dry the sides flat to the head backwards allowing them to set narrow to the head.
4. Once the hair is completely dry use a small amount of Wella Professionals Bold Move styling paste. Spread the paste evenly between the palm of your hands and work the product through the mid length and ends to create a deep, slightly messy texture.
5. Mist hair with Wella Professionals Stay Firm Finishing Spray to ensure that your style will last all night.