Need hair and makeup ideas to go with a white dress? Take a cue from Shailene Woodley, who totally nailed the look at the 84th Annual Academy Awards with a Valentino Couture gown, sultry coppery shadow and chic chignon.
“Today is a special day for Shailene and so I wanted to use a little more makeup than what she typically wears,” says makeup artist Stephen Sollitto working for Hourglass Cosmetics. “Her look is about luminous skin, defined eyes and a sophisticated palette of coppers and bronzes. She looked exquisite yet still young, fresh and fashionable.”
Stephen began by prepping Shailene’s skin with Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer to create a smooth canvas for makeup and ensure a flawless finish with real longevity. He followed with Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Shell, which imbues skin with luminosity, and Hidden Corrective Concealer in Fair, an undetectable cover-up.
To add warmth, he contoured Shailene’s cheekbones with Hourglass Superficial Waterproof Bronzer, a silky powder that withstands high humidity, sweeping the product to her temples, hair line, nose and chin. He then applied a dusty rose blush and finished with the highlighter from Hourglass Illume Crème-to-Powder Bronzer Duo in Bronze Light for a gorgeous glow.
Stephen lined her eyes with Hourglass Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner in Cognac, a rich brown shade. Before adding eye shadow, Stephen applied Hourglass Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara to gauge the darkness of her eyes. He also swept Hourglass Film Noir Lash Lacquer at the roots of the lashes for drama, thickness and inky black sheen. Stephen then covered the entire lid of the eye with the cream shimmer shade of Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Suede to reflect light. Last, he applied the copper shade from Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Gypsy for a dose of dramatic color.
Stephen lined the lips with Hourglass Trace Lip Liner in Bare, and followed with Hourglass Prodigy Hydrating Lip Gloss in Eden for a peachy beige sheen.
Hair stylist Campbell McAuley gave Shailene a ’70s style textured chignon with a Moroccan twist to mirror the textures of her dress.
1. Starting with wet hair, apply Matrix Total Results Amplify Wonder Boost Root Lifter to give the base of the hair volume.
2. Blowdry hair with a round brush to smooth the texture.
3. Set hair in Velcro rollers for one hour.
4. Remove rollers, brush out curls and worked Matrix Total Results Sleek Silk Wonder Smoothing Oil from roots to end for shine.
5. Gather all hair into a textured ponytail at the crown of the head.
6. Twist small sections of the ponytail and wrap them up to the base of the hair to make a round shape.
7. Half way through, wrap remaining sections around the round shape to give it a criss-cross texture.
8. Finish with Matrix Design Pulse Hard Lock Hairspray to hold the style in place.
For Shailene’s nails, Celebrity Manicurist Nettie Davis used a mix of essie’s Ballet Slippers and Au Natural to create a light, neutral manicure. “I wanted to create a simple nail to complement Shailene’s mod 70s style dress. I created a neutral beige mixing Ballet Slippers and Au Natural,” stated Davis.