Product Reviews

Makeup Tutorial: How To Create The Perfect Cat Eye Look

May 24, 2009

There is no doubt that French actress Brigitte Bardot is one of the sexiest actress in the 50s and 60s and the original bombshell. Even until now, millions and millions of women try to copy her signature look – sexy bed hair, thick apricot lips and my personal favorite, smoky cat eyes.

Smoldering cat eyes can elongate and lift the eyes for a sexy, youthful appearance. The look works on all ethnicity and eye shapes plus you can wear the line thin or thick to work with different looks.

Modern Cat Eye Icons: Angelina Jolie, Rihanna and Camilla Belle

What You Need

* Pencil Eyeliner
* Liquid/Gel Liner
* Mascara
* Q-tips (optional)

Step 1. Starting from the inner corner, line your top lash line with a pencil liner. Choosing one that glides on easily will make your life a LOT easier. I am using MAC Pearlglide Liner in Black Russian here.

As you approach the outer corner, make the line thicker and flick it upwards, extending it past the outer corner of your eye. Be sure to taper it unless you are going for a “modern” look as spotted at the DKNY Fall 2009 show.

Step 2. Go over the line with a liquid or gel liner for maximum lasting power and color. I swear by MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack.

This is what it should look like when you are done.

Step 3. Repeat on the lower lash line . Make sure the two lines join each other at the outer corner.

Step 4. Clean up any mistakes or smudges with a Q-tip or a makeup remover pen. L’oreal’s Clean Artiste Makeup Corrector Pen is perfect for this.

Step 5. Curl your lashes, apply a few coats of mascara or a pair of fake lashes on the top to complete the look.

Voila! Sexy cat eyes in no time!

More BeautyTips

* If you don’t have a steady hand, try resting your elbow on a hard surface like a table top.

* Find it difficult to draw a straight line in one stroke? Make a few dots and connect them.

* Always start out with a thin line. It is easier to retrace the line to make it thicker than trying to make a thick liner thinner.

* Mastering the cat eye does take time and practice so be patient!

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply samantha May 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm

thanks a bunch really helpful and the pics are veryy helpful. but most importantly, you are soo pretty, lol even though its just your eyes in these pics, you have amazing eyes and nice eyebrows =]

• Reply jamie May 24, 2009 at 2:42 pm

i love the cat eyes look, but i am so bad at applying liquid eyeliner lol.

• Reply Cattie May 24, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Hey Phyllis! Thanks for the close up, I’ve always found this difficult to do. But what I’m wondering, when you connect the top and bottom line do you fill up that small area next to your outer corner? Cause I find that my liner always smudges there because my eyes are somewhat teary around that area. So if I did the cat eye look it wouldn’t look good a few hours later. Should I use a waterproof pencil and liner then? And if I were to only do the upper lash line, should I start to flick when I reach the outer corner of my eye or just a few millimeters above?

Thanks a bunch!

• Reply Valeria May 24, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Hi Phyllis. If there is something I think that most women look for when googling for makeup on the internet it is to find a blog where an honoust person (like you) with no interest in selling products shows us how to lay a perfect makeup step by step, with all the product details included in the description and pictures to see the effect. I love the party looks and creative looks that you have made, but to be honoust the most useful ones for me has been some of your everyday looks, like the makeup you were wearing for the beauty summit. That’s the kind of makeup all women could dare to wear for all occasions without being overdone and they are not that complicated to do. That is my biggest problem with makeup, to find a balance between natural and overdone. Something I can use for college or work and then meet with my boyfriend to eat afterwards 🙂 When I go to a makeup store and ask the makeup artists for help they are not very helpful and just want to sell their products. Once I paid 100 dollars for a makeup class on a beauty clinic. When I said makeup to use in day time she gave me a mascara and a blush and that was it! I was so disappointed, I came into the clinic wearing that already! I wanted more! Thank you for sharing your tips with us. I would like to request more everyday looks that are more than just mascara and blush, they are so useful for many women. Hugs =)

• Reply phuong k May 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm

hey phyllis,
    can i ask you what brush you are using to draw the fluidline with?

• Reply Phyllis May 25, 2009 at 1:34 am

thanks Samantha =)

• Reply Phyllis May 25, 2009 at 1:40 am

Cattie,

If you eyes tear up really easily, you should go with a waterproof liner. MAC’s Liquidlast Liner is definitely one of the most waterproof eyeliners I have ever used.

As for flicking the liner on the upper lash line, it all depends on what look you’re going for and your eye shape. Some people like to go all out and extend it way past the corner (like I did in the pictures) but if you are looking for a more natural look, just do a quarter of an inch or less. Those with rounder eyes should also extend the line a little more to get that elongated feline eye shape.

• Reply Phyllis May 25, 2009 at 1:42 am

Phuong k,

I love Sephora’s Long Handle Sable Eyeliner Brush to apply the Fluidline. It’s cheap and works perfectly with the gel liner.

• Reply blackbeauty May 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm

girl you are the best! you should consider making videos/ vlog on youtube for great demos!

• Reply Val84 May 28, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I am a blonde with fair skin and blue eyes. I am having trouble finding a color to line under my eyes! Black is too hard and makes the eyes appear smaller, tired and goth like Avril Lavigne. Many makeup artists suggest brown, but for some reason brown colors makes my eyes look tired and red! I really want to find a color that is not too “fake” and controversal for a day look, but I can’t find any alternatives to the black liner! I have tried liners and powders and I have tried to smudge, but that just look like dirt or as if someone hit me in the eyes. Any suggestions?

• Reply Phyllis May 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Thanks blackbeauty =)

• Reply Phyllis May 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Val84,

If you find black too harsh, gray is a great alternative.

• Reply Chris June 3, 2009 at 3:16 am

How do you do the line at the lower lashes. I always do the lower line next to the waterline. I am always in conflict with my lashes, if I do it under the waterline 🙁 Greets and thanks for this blog 😉

• Reply Ang July 10, 2009 at 2:52 am

Hey I usually do liquid liner first then pencil to smooth out the line and make it more natural…what do u think?

• Reply makeup school la July 10, 2009 at 5:20 am

I like cat eyes makeup on “Camilla Belle”, as her hairstyle is little matching with the her cat look 🙂

• Reply grace August 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Wow, your eyes look exactly like michelle phan’s. (ricebunny, but i think you probably know :))

• Reply cr788r August 22, 2009 at 6:23 pm

what foundation if any do you use? you skin looks absolutely amazing

• Reply Clarissa September 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I have always wanted to try out the cat eye! I am so happy that you posted this tutorial and I can’t wait to try it out this weekend ;).